Saturday, January 26, 2008

A little of this, a little of that

The mittens are done!

The mittens are pretty cute, after having ripped out the top of one of them three times. The cable isn't perfectly centered because I didn't account for it being tighter, but I still think they are cute. I think I will give them to my friend Nicole who lives in Indiana, because they wouldn't do a whole lot for the type of cold here.

This is a picture I took on my way to school the first day. It's the mighty Mississippi! I have to walk/bike over it every day to get to school. It was about -15 so the water was lots warmer and you can see all kinds of steam coming up. It was a gorgeous day if it weren't so cold!

And then I must show you all my handywork in the kitchen. I made biscotti this weekend, and of course burned the chocolate so only a fourth of them got coated, but they are delicious nonetheless.

Last weekend I made spring rolls and this delicious sauce that my friend gave me the recipe for. They were delicious! Here's the recipe, I'd highly suggest using it sometime. It's more of a summer type of meal, but perfect for the spring, which hopefully will be on its way in no time?

Spring Rolls

Ingredients:
red cabbage, carrots, bean sprouts, spinach, lettuce, cucumbers, and fresh cilantro & basil (and whatever else you might fancy), vinegar, sugar, lime juice, rice paper, rice

Cook some rice or rice noodles first. Chop up some cabbage, carrots, bean sprouts, spinach or lettuce, and cucumbers (chop up according to how many you want to make).
Cover the cabbage with a little vinegar and sugar. Squeeze some lime juice over the carrots, lettuce and cucumbers. Dip the rice paper in warm water for a minute or two to soften it up. Then lay it flat and put a little of each ingredient in the middle, fold the sides in, and wrap the roll like a burrito. Make a bunch of them.

Peanut Sauce:
Ingredients:
Sriracha sauce, soy sauce, tomatoes, peanut butter, peanuts, sprig of basil
Here's the recipe, straight out of the email my friend sent me.
"sauce, yes yes threw stuff together but it wasn't half bad you know? there's this stuff that you can get almost anywhere, and by almost anywhere, i can imagine that it's found in the asian section of most conventional grocers, don't know about the coops (wtf about north country by the by? i'm ever so pissed), but you can always try united noodle in seward or some place will have it on nicollet south of like
24th or so. it's a ubiquitous vietnamese red spicy garlicky delicious magic sauce (called Sriracha) that shouldn't be terribly difficult to find. then add some soy sauce, or better yet, some gomaicho (sp? it's the toasted sesame seeds with sea salt and sometimes, if you are sassy enough, wakame flakes) which you can use to salt in a less conventional manner. then, make sure you have enough tomatoes, at least 2 and enough peanut butter, at least 2 table spoons, but i don't know why i bother giving you these measurements because this is really where the subjectivity runs wild. just make sure that the balance is slightly harmonious and fits to the number of people you are going to have. i don't recommend skippy peanut butter or any of that processed stuff, but i am in the land of groundnuts right now. you may want to opt for crunchy to add some texture and if you already have smooth and don't just want some paste or what have you, then maybe try crushing peanuts and tossing them in. ooh, don't forget little sprigs of basil!!"

Maybe you have to know the guy, but his recipe cracks me up every time I read it. The sriracha is this stuff, but if you can't find it, you could also make your own, using chili paste or chili peppers and tomatoes, a little water, and some chopped fresh garlic. Happy knitting, or cooking, or "schroomin", or whatever you two are up to!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Mittens look great. The yarn looks really soft, I've been meaning to tell you that since you posted the sweater. I've been having a hankerin' for mittens recently myself. I'm really interested in thrummed mittens, I just have to find somewhere to get roving. I have recently met someone in my pottery class, and I think I overheard her say last week in class that she spins....so that might be a way to find a source.
Also, thanks for the spring roll recipe. This looks like (and has a lot of the same ingredients as) the spring rolls we used to get at our favorite thai/asian restaurant back in MD. I was just thinking of that place the other day. and feeling a little homesick. It's funny how food can do that. I will definetly be trying these soon, but I'm not ready for spring yet (I know you are, so I hope MN continues w/spring and we continue with snow....we're just getting started!) Cheers!

Jill said...

Very yummy looking food. I will definatley try the spring rolls.
The mittens look really nice, too!