Monday, January 7, 2008

Finally, the sweater


Pattern: Carolyn Cardigan

Source: Knitty Spring 2007

Yarn: Lion Brand Lion Wool

Needle: US 8

Start: 8/9/07

Finish: 11/30/07


This is definatley the most wearable garment I have made so far... I am really happy with how it looks, how it fits, and how it feels. It is very comfortable. This one took a while and I was very particular about finishing it. And it was so worth the wait. The pattern was really not that well written. The front and the back don't have the same number of rows, so when you are putting it all together, I had to unravel parts and reknit so that the stripes would match up. The sleeves are HUGE if knit as the pattern is written. I ended up knitting one sleeve three times before I came up with something I was happy with. And also, the neck was huge, like a boat neck, so I ended up modifying that as well. I learned the mattress stitch for seaming, which I am so happy with. I had never used it before and thought I would be really tedious and annoying (based on other's comments about seaming), but I didn't find it that difficult. And the seams look so nice! As I am growing as a knitter, one of the things I am learning is patience. Rushing through things and not paying attention to the little details is not worth it in the end. And that inner voice that says "this doesn't look right" is usually right, so I should listen to it more often!



MODIFICATIONS:

Sleeves: CO 38 sts, increase every 14 rows (13 rows St st, one increase row) until I had 48 sts, then I started increasing every 6th row (5 rows St st). Then I increased every other row for 4 rows (64 sts). My sleeve was 18.75" at this point. Then I followed the directions for shaping the sleeve caps.
Neck/Collar: I decreased the neck stitches by half... the first row I k2tog all the way around.
Other: Five buttons instead of seven.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I love the mattress stitch. I've never understood all the hub-bub about it.