Thursday, January 10, 2008

Squared Afghan

Pattern: Squared Afghan
Source: Free in-store pattern from Lion Brand Yarn
Yarn: Mission Falls 1824 Wool
Hook: H
This was a gift that I made for my friends' wedding last weekend. I absolutely love how it turned out... I love the colors and the squares and the pattern, and how the crochet stitch looks. It was quite simple to make and I got quite a bit faster at crocheting by doing this project. Crocheting goes so much faster than knitting does! Instead of sewing the squares together, I crocheted them together. If I ever make something like this again, I will use crochet to attach the squares to one another. I hate sewing, so I like the crocheting better, and I think it looks much nicer. It turned out a bit smaller than I had hoped, but it will make a nice lap blanket. I ran out of yarn and time...
This was a really good stash busting project - I had the yarn in my stash for about a year and I used it ALL UP. Every last bit! I have made a resolution to only use yarn from my stash from now until I move... My stash is getting a little out of control, and also, I don't want to have to move yarn across the country. I'd rather move sweaters and hats and scarves :)

As for my current projects, I just finished a scarf. It is blocking as I write & I will post about it when it dries, which may be a while. I am also working on my first pair of toe-up socks... Love em! Toe up is the way to go, for sure. Its so much easier than top down.
And then next on the agenda is a baby sweater from my friend who is expecting in February. AND THEN, I can get to the knit-along sweater.... have you guys started yet? One of us should buy the pattern soon. I am thinking about using a brownish tweed yarn, do you think that will look okay for the sweater? Its what I have... and I can't buy any new yarn, you know?

2 comments:

Molly said...

This is gorgeous!

Jamie said...

I totally bought the pattern, casted on and I have ~5 inches on the turtleneck so far. It's fun so far, and I hope to have more done soon, but I need a longer #8 needle.
And Jill, moving....do you know more about jobs, moving across the country? This sounds promising for me! will you be closer? Fill me in!