Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Rainy In Mexico

This week is going well. I saw an old friend from camp Manito-wish randomly on campus and made plans to meet up with another old friend from freshman year. I entered the new friend market last week and my investments are doing rather well if I do say so myself. There is a lounge in the geo building that is quite cozy where everyone seems to congregate between classes, which is nice because I used to always go home for breaks and I don't have to anymore. It has old comfy couches, darts, candy and pop to buy, lockers, large windows, and even an old beer can collection (not as big as dad's though!) Anyway I've already had some pretty interesting discussions in there with people about relationships, love, and stupid high school stories.... good way to get to know people, no? And they're having a "geology people" party this weekend that I will probably go to at one guy's house.

Julia, Tessa and I started a new tradition that I really think I'm gonna like, as well. Yoga class for free at Boynton Health Services every Tuesday and Thursday evenings. I had never done a yoga class before and I like it a lot... Maybe not the same as Conditioning but definitely a good way to start out I think.

The chair is an exciting find... and so is the tea! I actually just had a cup of it myself the other day. I've been hoarding it for a long time now! I found this little hat at a vintage store in Uptown and took a picture with it because it looked rediculous but actually I think it kind of is a cool photo. To clarify if you can't see, it's made of feathers. Classy.

Have you read Siddhartha? I am just finishing it now. Everyone who's read it says its a must-read, but I'm not so sure. I wasn't too impressed. It is about the life of this guy who lived during Buddha's time and how he isn't ever satisfied and so as he goes through life he goes from a very spiritual man to a hobo to a rich man to a simple, wise ferryman. It is true, but I don't think its anything new or says exceptional. And I didn't really like the style of writing. It was very simple and didn't give you much to visualize. I have a long reading list for after this so hopefully one of these will be better: The Sun Also Rises, A Farewell to Arms, Cat's Cradle, Tales of A Female Nomad, The Stranger (one of my favorites-- I have a copy I want to read in French though!!) and still to finish Zen & the Art of Motorcycle maintenance...

And, lastly, I heard from my friend Michelle the other day and she is safe and sound in Mexico, but still adjusting. And she said it's rainy where she is, which incidentally I have no idea how to spell so I won't include here, but that's where my heading came from.

No comments: