Sunday, January 28, 2007

-7 degrees outside.

Here's what I have had in the back of my mind for the past couple weeks, and as I am looking at my calendar, I realize that I need to make a decision on it soon! Should I go to Montana or not next year and for how long? I have to apply by February 9th, and with the application, a $200 non-refundable deposit is required.

Important points in the decision include:
a. The new job with the petrology lab I have only had a chance to work a few time so far, but I really like it a lot... I like the guys I'm working for/with, I like learning about what I'm doing, and I actually like the work itself, and I've only been doin the minor stuff so far. They say I will progress and learn more and get to do my own experiments, and get to maybe contribute to papers they publish. If I leave for the next year, the chances of coming back and being able to start up again where I left off isn't too good.
b. Things like I hate Minnesota winter and it's making me crazy...I want to travel... I want to live in a town like Missoula... I want to be able to step into the mountains out my back door... I want to be able to bike all winter because it doesn't snow in the valley... I want to move away and experience something new and make new friends and all that jazz.
c. But I am actually making a lot of friends in my classes here that I am getting along with really well and I really like the geology department here. I actually don't mind my classes, I like my proffesors, yada yada yada. When has THAT happened?! Why would I want to jinx that!?
d. I miss Sarah and I wish that I would/could have another opportunity to live with her... or at least in the same city! Along the same lines, if I stay, Vicki will be here and as much as I love Vicki, I find that she really stresses me out a lot. I don't know how I'd tell her that I don't want to live with her next year. And I don't know who else I'd live with.... although that I could figure out somehow.
e. I will have a chance to go out west this summer with the two field camps, but I probably won't be able to see much besides exactly where we go since the transportation is given and the time is all planned out. Also, even if I wanted to stay out there the rest of the summer and find a job, Sarah is planning to get a job elsewhere so she probably won't be there in the summer.
f. Financial aid isn't guaranteed going to Montana OR going here. I got a lot last year but it could be a fluke or it could be the plan again. Who knows what I'll get. What I do know is: tuition is lots cheaper in Montana, and so is an apartment. But, I'd also have to get there and get home. But since I know people it might just be a matter of chipping in for gas which wouldn't be so bad. g. One of the big things about going to Missoula was the community that everyone says is there. And the town is really cool to live in. But, the longer I live here, the more I know about the cities and know the cool places to go and cool things to do. And, I really have started to experience the whole community thing with the Geo dept even if that isn't quite the same...

So what do you think the evidence suggests here? I know what I'm leaning towards but I'm curious what you think. I bet I know what you think.... but maybe you're thinking of something else in addition... hmmmmmmm.


You know that bulliten board we covered with photos? I covered it with staples and fabric and then photos. It looks lots nicer now. Can I have the pattern you were making that scarf with? I am working on a scarf made out of yellow yarn and the yarn you gave me that you died. I'm excited. Its very bright and springy and a little retro. It's made of squares of each color and kind of slanted sideways lke diamonds. I'll show you a picture when I get a chance.

No comments: