Monday, December 10, 2007

Retractable Roof ?

The Gingerbread Party was a success.... lots of sugar (including a yummy chiffon pumpkin pie my friend Katie made), potent drinks (homemade eggnogg from Joel and chocolate peppermint martinis), sheep (there happened to be a live nativity scene a the church down the street and they had live sheep!), Chrismas music, and lots of laughter and conversation. We made approximately 5 gingerbread houses. I say approximately because we made three from kits, one of which fell apart, and two other freestyle ones. The one above is the one that Michelle and I made. The one on the left has " stained glass skylights" (i.e., melted jolly ranchers) and also ended up having a "retractable roof" (i.e., the roof fell off in the end, and after that happened, the structure pretty much collapsed). The last one, I'm sure you can tell, was a freestyle one... complete with mailbox! Anyway, we had a good time figuring out how to make these things work!


And now for the knitting content:

I finished my Carolyn cardigan over a week ago, but didn't ever have time to block it or take good pictures. I finally got to blocking it last night, but it will take a while to dry because it is 75 degrees (!) out and really humid. Where is winter? I am wearing a t-shirt and flip flops today!



I also used up all the yarn that I had for my blanket. I had to order some more today... I just need one more square and then yarn to put it together and for the border. I also blocked the squares because they were very lumpy. So are knits everywhere in my house right now. I am really loving how the squares turned out. It is going to be hard to give it away, but I think the recipients will really appreciate it.












1 comment:

Jamie said...

Jill,
beautiful blanket, awesome work as usual.
I was feeling really sad when I saw on facebook that you were having a Gingerbread party. Believe me, I was there in spirit....it's something I've wanted to do forever and still might this year.
Sounds like fun was had by all.

hugs!