Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Go for the cheesecake

I had a great time in Chicago - It was great to just spend a few days with a good friend, eat yummy food, and relax. Mary lives north of the city in a really cute little neighborhood with the train, parks, the lake, a few stores, and a yarn store (yes, a yarn store) within walking distance. We spent one day just hanging out there, and the other two exploring the city. We rented bikes and rode up the lakeshore one afternoon, stopping at a couple beaches to laze on the beach, drink smoothies, and eat ice cream. The other day was spent doing a little shopping, walking down the Magnificient Mile, and people watching in Millenium Park. She took me out to eat at the Chicago Diner (near Wrigley Park), and if you are ever in Chicago, you must eat here - fabulous vegan food. I had a delicious dinner of polenta with vegetables, black beans, and spanish rice; and for dessert we tried raw cheesecake (i guess its made with finely ground up cashews, coconut oil, and some other stuff I can't remember). It was to. die. for. I mean, for real, delicious. All in all, it was a great time.

By the by, Molly mentioned Barbara Kingsolver books a while back and I second Molly's thoughts - Kingsolver is one of my favorite authors. Right now I am reading her latest book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. It is about her and her family's experience spending one year eating only local food, food that they knew where it came from. So for, it has been real thought provoking... I think both of you would really like it if you haven't already checked it out.

No comments: