Saturday, September 29, 2007

Fall comes to the Sierras



I'm still here.....working! I've been working ~50 hours/week over the last three weeks, and I'm having some major burn-out. I don't have any new knitting to report, 3 WIPs, some Christmas projects (only 2 for Christmas.....more than that would be impossible for me!). I'm having a very stong urge to cast on a lace shawl since seeing your finished project. I'm not sure I have the mental fortitude at this point, but I did buy 1200 yards of dark green lace weight merino, now I just have to find the right pattern.

The work situation should improve over the next few weeks, I'll be back to working 3 days/week, so that might be a good time to start the lace project.

We went to Yosemite 2 weekends ago, and had a wonderful time. I wanted to share some pics. We had a very brief visit, but it was a good time. We visited the Yosemite valley, of course; half-dome is unbelievable in person! We also did a short hike through 1 of Yosemite's 3 groves of Sequioas (all very small, ~20-30 trees) and went to a stargazing program at 10 pm with a Yosemite ranger. It was chilly when we arrived, and just got colder, 22 degrees at night!



Kane in front of a very small-looking Sequoia.



This picture does a little more justice, to help appreciate how big the trees really are!

Also, about 4 weeks ago, we visited San Francisco and had a nice time, but there was an awesome yarn factory/distributor/spinner called "artfibers". They had factory ends and undyed hanks galore. I really had to contain myself, but I did buy two HUGE undyed hanks of merino/silk blend. Both hanks have about 800 yards of worsted weight yarn, defintely enough to make a sweater or two even! $60!!!!! If you guys get the chance to come visit, we'll defintely go visit because it's certainly worth the trip!



I did have one project that has the knitting portion completed. I need to line it and sew the straps on....I got these great purse straps at Jimmy Bean's . I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to sew them on securely, but I think that it will look nice once it's completed. The entrelac pattern was really fun to follow, especially knitted in the round.



I'll post pictures when I've completely finished the bag. I hope you both are doing well and enjoying the cooler weather. We certainly are, but unfortunately we have to spend the day looking for a new car.
Enjoy the weekend!

2 comments:

Molly said...

That hat is awesome-- I really like the colors with the entrelac pattern. I am making the "scarf" i started in entrelac into a purse now. I'll send photos when I'm done, I still need to do the strap and line it since it's a little hole-y. I also started a sweater in this gorgeous green yarn. It's going to take forever but I'm excited about it. Pictures soon!

Jill said...

Jamie - go for the lace! I didnt' find it as hard as I thought it would be. Find an easy pattern that uses large-ish needles (not like size 0s or 1s or something). I definately could not be distracted - no TV, no people, but it was fun and challenging. And don't forget to use a life line!
Good luck!
Jill