Sunday, October 7, 2007

Fall in Minnesota


I've been super busy the last week two weeks, but I finally get a chance to relax now! Here are some highlights of the last two weeks. As you can see-- not all bad.
The first pictures are from a field trip for Structural Geology class to Baraboo, Wisconsin to see some Baraboo Quartzite and a giant fold. The first one is Devils Lake.
This is the vertical bedding that shows you're on the inverted limb of the fold. The quartzite is on the right and on the left is a shale. There was also a sign that said that this rock is a "geologic mecca." Take that as you will.






The third picture is from another field trip, this time to Northeastern Minnesota for my Glacial Geology Class. This is Jay Cooke State Park (have you been there?) It is absolutely gorgeous, even though the weather was in the 40-50's and wet. Those rocks are greywacke, a sandstone that has been metamorphosed.




We also walked on a peat bog and saw some mudcrack formation in action. And we went to Lake Superior and did some Agate-searching. These are really unique rocks that form from water filling gas vesicles in cooling magma. There are a lot of them along Lake Superior and glaciers carried them all around Northeast Minnesota. I think I'm going to try and make some jewelery with them or something....
















And then this weekend was the Zombie Pub Crawl... My friends Dave & Chris went all out (Roman Zombies) and my friends Nick and Joelle and I were just pretty bloody. But a great time was had by all the undead. ..









And, back to knitting! I am working on a sweater! Wow, this is hard. I got this gorgeous green yarn and I have a pattern that is supposed to have cables down the front but I am not including those so it's just going to be plain. you knit it top down in the round, so it shouldn't be too bad, right?

So..... I'm a busy girl. Plus, I still need to finish that entrelac bag.... I think it'll be cute but I'll probably give it to someone for Christmas I think. I have so many little hand bags like that.
Hope all is well with you two!

No comments: