Monday, September 10, 2007

The case of the apartment with bad karma

Yesterday, after being gone for one night, I came home to a broken window on the front of my house. Saturday night someone smashed my window, broke into my house, and took my computer. I had just backed up all my data 2 days before, so I only lost one day worth of data, which was very fortuante. However, I had some data sheets in my computer bag that had not been entered or backed up, so those are gone too. That is the worst news. My computer really was a piece of crap and I was planning on buying a new one soon.

But it was scary. I live in a duplex, so there is another apartment next to mine. The guy that lives there was gone for the weekend as well, so it seems like whoever did this was watching us and knew we were both gone. It was a really ballsy thing to do. I live on a fairly well - traveled street, it was my front window they broke - probably with a hammer or something...

It was just really scary... I don't know why they chose my apartment. I don't really own anything valuable, like I said, all they took was my computer, which really was a piece of crap, anyway. My TV is from like 1983, my cd player is a little newer, but not by much, and my DVD player isn't anything special. They took it off of my TV and unplugged it like they were going to take it, but they left it on the floor. Strange. They also went through my dresser drawers, jewelry box, my desk, and various other possible storage places (like the tins I keep buttons in. Apparently they weren't impressed with my vintage button collection. Or all the recipts I keep in my jewerly box, since I have no jewerly. Or the yarn I keep in my dresser drawers. They robbed the wrong house.)

It just feels like such a violation - it is going to be hard to feel safe there anymore, and its going to be really hard to stay there alone. It is especially creepy to think that someone might have been watching me. Ugh.

When I found this apartment, about a year ago, I was really excited because I had finally found a place that had some character, had a yard, was in a 'neighborhood' (and not an apartment complex), and I could afford. But I had this weird, bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. Of course, I ignored it. I mean, what could go wrong? Its not like the place would be outrageously expensive to heat in the winter (its Alabama!), or that the furnace would break at least two times a month, or that the bathroom would be unbelievably disgusting when I moved in, or that the place would turn out to be infested with rats, or that the backyard would be infested with fleas, or that there would be a serious ant problem in the kitchen, or that the air conditioners would never really work properly, or that someone would eventually smash the window and break in, right? Wrong-o.
My lease is up at the end of the month, but it is all a matter of finding someplace new to live and moving. It makes me ill to think about having to move. I dread moving. But this place has bad karma; its just been one thing after another since I moved here. I just wish someone could just find a place for me, and then move all my stuff. Then I could decorate. I like that part.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I'm sending you good vibes to counteract the bad karma. What a bummer, I know how violated I felt when my car got broken into. I was like you, I had nothing and the dumbass stole my bookbag, full of brand new books, went through the bag, stole my wallet (empty) and threw my books in the trash, never to be recovered. Such an aggravation, but I am certainly thinking of you. Hugs