Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Not so cashmere


This one is not so much a winner. It is the cashmere sweater pattern from Weekend Knitting. Except instead of cashmere, I used el-cheap-o Lion Brand yarn. I guess there is a reason it called for cashmere. It is comfy, but not attractive. And I have got to somehow learn how to bind off loosely. I just can't do it. As hard as I try and concentrate when I am binding off, it is always tight and icky. Any suggestions? I really like the idea of the sweater, but it is awkward. The body is kind of form fitting & the sleeves are huge. I wanted it all to be kind of big and warm and snugly, like a sweatshirt. Oh well, I'll wear it around the house... and I got my first lesson in bad yarn substitution. I find it is really hard to find a good yarn substitute, when you don't even know what the original yarn was like, and 99% of the time I can't possibly afford the original yarn, so I'm not going to be using it. Ah, the trials and tribulations.... (I don't even know what that means in this context, but it sounded good).

Next up is a Honeymoon Tank, although, unfortunately I don't foresee a honeymoon in my near future. But hopefully it will be wearable for our trip to the Gulf next month. I am also gearing up
for some new socks from the lovely yarn Jamie dyed for me. It is patiently waiting on my windowsill. Okay, I just put it there for the picture, but doesn't it look happy? I thought maybe it would grow if I left it there, just like my plants...

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Jills,
To bind off loosely (a problem that I frequently have) I use a HUGE needle (I think it's a 24 or something like that). That is the only way I've been able to do it. The other way a lady I work with does it is that she holds 2-3 needles together and binds off so that the loops go over all of the needles that she is holding.