Monday, July 2, 2007

Swallowtail Shawl

I finished the shawl at midnight on the night before the wedding, blocked it over night and I got to wear it to the wedding! I think it looks nice and although there are a few mistakes, they aren't that noticable.... It is definately the most challenging piece that I have done so far, but it really wasn't that tough. The main lace pattern was very repetative and once I did a few repeats of it, I had it memorized. I still messed up a couple times in the beginning, but once I started using a lifeline I didn't make anymore mistakes. The lily part on the border was more challenging. Those little balls are made by purling 5 together - not easy. Thats the part I had to do in the car and by the time I was finished, my hands hurt so bad! On the outer border I skipped the last two rows so that I could finish it before the wedding. It looks fine, though. It was actually really fun to knit.

The wedding was really nice and I finally got to meet some of Bill's friends! I had a really good time. Columbus was a lot bigger than I thought it was - its a very nice town, though. The wedding wasn't until 4:30 on Saturday so we had the whole morning to relax. We walked to the North Market, an indoor food market that has been open since 1876. There was vendors selling ethnic food, pasteries, produce, flowers, crafts, homemade salsa and jellies, coffees, and teas. We bought some loose leaf tea to try and ate Vietnamese for lunch. Otherwise, we pretty much sat out in the courtyard, hung out with Bill's friends and relaxed.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Love, love, love the shawl! You are so hardcore, that sounds like some seriously mentally demanding knitting. I need to get tougher, but I have a hard time with anything that requires peace and quiet to knit...nevermind the fact that I AM NOT a detail-oriented person (eventhough my resume states otherwise). Again, I loved the picture of you guys. It made me remember how much I miss you both!