Wednesday, July 18, 2007

More tank tops and Christmas too


Another tank top... this one is the corded halter dress from Knit Simple spring/summer 2007. The pattern is for a dress, but I shortened it to make a top. I knit it from the top down instead of the bottom up, which was easier for me because I didn't know how long I wanted it. I basically just knit until I ran out of yarn - I used 2 skeins of Lion Brand Microspun. It is a pretty cute top and I plan to use it as a coverup at the beach, provided I ever go to the beach...

I brushed up on my crochet skills and made a couple of those cute little birdies this weekend. Adorable, no? They were super easy, even with my basic crochet skills, and I made the two of them within a couple hours. Right now they are hanging out on my windowsill waiting for more friends to join them. Very cute.

I have officially started on my Christmas knitting... I started a scarf for my aunt, I am using this pattern. So far, it looks really nice. As for other Christmas knitting, I have made my list and it is pretty extensive, but hopefully do-able! Among other things, I am going to knit Bill the sweater he has been asking for since last Christmas. I'm a little apprehensive since he is SO picky about his clothes, but he says he will wear it. He has approved the pattern and picked out the yarn - its color #9408, a reddish-brown. It was a big step for us, well, me anyway.
The transition from working all the time, to having lots of free time is going okay. I was incredibly bored this weekend, but now I am adjusting. I went to a friend's for a yummy dinner last night and tonight I think Bill & I are going to meet up for dinner (he's out at Bankhead all this week). Otherwise, I've been taking Frazier for walks, cleaning, shopping, eating, and generally lazing around. I'm trying to get motivated to start entering data. Soon, real soon, I'll get to that.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I love the birdies. I was going to make the same cover-up....it's in my to do pile. I need to get my crochet hook out and try some animals....I imagine that they would be much quicker than baby blankets. My christmas knitting is SO not happening....after last year's stressful/incomplete knitting, it was just too much for me. I am going to focus on the Moms...Kane's mom has been begging for socks forever and I want to make my Mom some too. I also need to make Kane a new hat (since I accidentally felted his in our new front loader after our last camping trip). I had always heard that front loaders don't felt, esp on the cold gentle cycle, but this had did! I'm just now getting to the point where I'm working 2 days/week. Kane is off one day with me, so I'm going to be doing something with him, like a hike or biked ride. And a few hours isn't good enough, we have to hike or ride ALL DAY. So, I will hopefully have more time to knit, finish the skirt (almost done) and start all of the others that I want to do. Glad to hear you guys are doing well. Hugs!

Jill said...

Jamie,
I'm jealous... I want to go hiking or biking or SOMETHING! But its so boring to go by myself... The past week I have spent sitting around the house knitting, watching TV, and generally being lazy and I'm sick of it. Bill is coming home today and I think I will go back out with him this weekend to help him a little. But I am thinking about heading to Chattanooga or to the mountains for a day or two by myself after that. I wish I could persuade him to come with me, but I doubt he will take a day off. (He needs it, though!)