Thursday, July 5, 2007

Go With the Flow


Go With the Flow
Originally uploaded by wickjill
The finished pair of socks for my Sock Pal. I really liked how they turned out, but I'm afraid they will be too small. The pattern says to stretch the material as you measure because the socks stretch so much... so I did that. They fit me perfectly, but my Sock Pal has bigger feet than me. So I am thinking I might have to rip out the toes and make them a little bit longer, which I don't want to do. I feel like these took me forever to make them, mostly because I did other stuff inbetween. Anyhow, I just don't feel like re-doing them! I guess I will see how I feel in a week or so. They don't have to go out until August 2nd.

Rachel, my field assistant, is leaving at the end of July to pursue a Phd at the University of Massachussetts. She is a crocheter-turned-knitter. She knits a lot, but never makes anything for herself... so as a thank you for all of her help over the past two years, I am making her a pair of socks. They are the Cabled Footies from the book One Skein. The first one went super fast (about 3 hours of knitting) because they are made with worsted weight yarn on size 9's. I am using Paton's Classic Merino. I love how the first one turned out - they will be super warm, which will be good because she will be a southern gal in New England and I think she will be COLD in the winter! They will be great as slipper - socks.

2 comments:

Sheryl said...

My pal's feet are shorter but wider than mine and I'm also worried about fit. The socks are the length she said she wanted, but they fit me in the length, so they might be too long or they just might fit me because the width is giving them extra ease. What I plan to do is leave the socks as they are and give her the leftovers of the skein of yarn. That way if she isn't happy she can redo the toe. Remember, we're all sock knitters here....

Molly said...

Those booties are really cute, I think Rachel will like them a lot! I've also been going to town on the skirt lately, I hope to finish the knitting in the coming week. eesh. I'll post when I finally do....