Saturday, May 5, 2007

Rebound

So here I am in the hospital thinking of all the things I want to do when I get out.... running, tennis, going to the lakes in the city, biking the Mississippi river trails, hiking, sewing, knitting, cooking, baking, painting.... The list goes on and on. I had a class today about all the things I need to consider while taking Coumadin, the blood thinner that I will be on for probably two years. Diet, sports I can and can't play, travel, shots, the list goes on and on. I've been in the hospital for 28 days so far in the past two months, and I'm still counting. Things have gotten out of control.

So, I've made a decision. I'm going to rebound from this stupid thing that happened this spring by running a marathon this Fall. Will you join me!? The Twin Cities Marathon is (the most beautiful urban marathon in America) on October 7th, 2007. No, I don't know how to train for a marathon, but I'm going to learn. Why? Because I could have died if my heart were not in the shape it was when I got that blood clot. If that's not a reason to keep my heart in shape, I don't know what is.

So, I am calling all my friends to run with me. But I doubt anyone will. Anyway it is sort of going to be my thing. My come-back. Of course, I anticipate it being really hard to train for a marathon for the first time alone. So, maybe you could train with me, even if it is across the country. Maybe you could find a race to do locally this fall to train for, or even come here for the TC Marathon (again, most beautiful urban marathon in America, after all). Or maybe you could just start running again.

But mostly, I guess I'm just looking for some support. It'll be rough, but I know I can do it, and I know there's not a better time in my life to cross this one off the list.

So, now all I'm waiting for is the clang of the bell and the opening of the starting gate, and I'll be off. (A timely little Kentucky derby reference in there if you didn't get it....)

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Molly,
I'm here for you....I'll support you any way that I can. I'd love to do the race with you, and I'm going to start training right away, I'm just not positive I'll be able to fly to MN in October....having just moved out to Nevada, but I'll do my very best.
What I can promise is that if I can't find a way to get to the Twin Cities, I will find a local race in the Lake Tahoe area the same day.
I can also help you with training/foods to eat for marathoning (I'm very interested in sports nutrition), foods to be careful with coumadin (another thing I've had to become interested in). So, at the very least, I'll be here to support you!
cheers to a kick-ass attitude!

Jill said...

Molly,
Your post made me cry... just seeing those words that you may have died - I can't imagen. But you're going to be okay, even if there is still lots ahead of you. And of course I will support you. I will do anything for you and I would love to run in the marathon with you. I don't know if I will be able to, but I really really really want to. I just don't know if I can physically train for a marathon in Alabama in the summer. You know what the heat and humidity is like here. But even if I can't run in it, I would love to train with you long-distance and maybe be there in MN with you on the day of the race. Molly, I am so incredibly proud of you for what you have been through. I don't know if proud is the right word, but you have constantly been in my thoughts over the last two months and I hope that this is the end of it. I hope you can move on, and get on with your life. Love you lots and lots, Jill
PS Just in case you don't know, Jamie is a dietician, thats why she offered to help you with the nutrition stuff :)

Jamie said...

Sorry Molly,
that probably didn't make much sense...I am a dietitian/nutritionist. I've mostly worked with people w/diabetes (many of whom are on coumadin). I have some experience with sports nutrition...mainly reading, some nutrition counseling for athletes. So, I'm here if you would like any help. I'm also here if you don't need any nutrition advice (I know how annoying that can be...the other dietitian I work with is constantly doling out nutrition advice at inappropriate times.) =)
I second Jill, you have certainly inspired me with your positive outlook and tough attitude...

Unknown said...

helloooo...

i'm actually Jill's sockapalooooza pal and i've been reading your blog since she was assigned to me. after reading this post, i am...wow. hard to describe, but ultimately, i hope you get better, Molly. that's quite an ordeal to have to go through.

if you're looking for support, you definitely have mine. i'm not much of a runner (i'm a different kind of athlete) but i'll keep you in mind when i do train and keep you in my prayers. take care! ♥

p.s. hi, Jill!