Thursday, May 3, 2007

The Big Reveal

Here it is, the lacy skirt with no bows:














And yeah, it was hard to finish it. I spent so much time knitting it and ripping it and knitting it and calculating and all that... and now its done. I worried so much that it would be too small. But its too big. I mean, its okay, but it kind of bunches more than I'd like at the top where the drawstring is. Even after my millions of calculations, I figured something wrong because the waist is 2 inches bigger than it is supposed to be. However, I am not ripping it out and starting over again! I like it, it fits the rest of my body fine. It does seem a little heavy and "hangy". I don't know what the right word is...
But I am happy with how it turned out.



I am participating in Sockapalooza4 and I just got my sock pal's information the other day. I am really excited, but there are so many choices in yarn, and color, and pattern. She didn't give me much of an idea of what she likes, so I don't know where to start! I was thinking about dyeing some yarn for the socks, but I don't know if she would think that was as neato as I do. And what if the color fades really quickly? I did try using hibiscus flowers (actually hibiscus tea from the natural food store) on a little bit of sock yarn & I really like the color - its kind of a rosy pink with almost a hint of grey. However, I didn't mordant the yarn first so that may change the color a bit. I think this might be a good color for the socks, what do you think? I ordered some undyed yarn from knitpicks and I hope it arrives soon. I am hoping that this dyes a little bit better than the stuff we have been using.

Hey Jamie, I was thinking about dyeing some yarn for your mom for Mother's Day. Do you think she would like that? Does she like earth-toned colors like the ones we've been getting so far?

Oh yeah, and if you want to see the loud and colorful lounge pants I made yesterday, check out my flickr. There are better pictures of the skirt I sewed, too. I figured this post had enough pictures for today.

3 comments:

Molly said...

So, I'm always talking about how I can't wait to finish undergrad and go to grad school. Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but i believe its because of things like this. Here you are, spending the summer in a national park, looking for birds all day, doing research on something you love, taking one class, time to knit gorgeous skirts and sew gorgeous pants and skirts, time to dye yarn... (somehow you have definitely become the most artsy crafty person in the family)... not to mention having Frazier & the time for him... So of course I want to move on up when you make it look so good! I'm jealous!

I know you said the skirt was a little big but it looks GOOD on you, it doesnt look like its bunchy or anything. I can't believe you finished it. It makes me want to move on mine but its a long road ahead for me... Anyway and the sewing projects are amazing too! The skirt is so cute for spring and the pjs are adorable too... Nice choices on the fabrics.

You've defintely way outdid anything I could do right now... Nice work.

Jamie said...

Jill,
I concur with Molly! The skirt is awesome and it looks great, far better than anything you could purchase in a store. I need to call you or email you about some technical difficulties I've had with mine.
We went to Sheep and wool and it was so cool. I'm hoping to post tonight or tomorrow some of the great shots I captured. It was definitely overwhelming!

My mom would love any yarn, and I think she would like the earthen colors you have dyed...they are very beautiful and peaceful.

Megan said...

I'm knitting the lacy skirt with bows right now and I love yours. It's a great colour.