Sunday, April 1, 2007

We're home from Park City....


The view from Snowbird, in Little Cottonwood Canyon, looking down into Salt Lake City.

Hi girls,
We had a wonderful week. It was relaxing/yet a little crazy. It's always difficult to coordinate 10 people. We thought that since everyone was an adult, that would cut down on how complicated the trip would be.....we were wrong.


A picture of the group....missing one, Joey (the picture-taker). I'm the lone snowboarder.

We couldn't decide what area to ski everyday, what day to take off, who was going to use what rental car, who was going out drinking (not us), people taking forever to get up and go due to hangovers,....etc. But, all in all we had a nice time. It was nice to be back in the mountains. Utah is a beautiful state with tons of natural history to enjoy (Molly, I wish you were with us to show me some geology). We spent all of our time in the Wasatch Mountains, which from what I understand are mainly a sandstone-based range. They are prone to erosion, and aren't very good for climbing. We got 5 days of skiing in, which was plenty for me....my legs are still sore. We were very concerned about the lack of snow (see the valley below in the group picture above....NO snow) in Park City, but when we got in the Cottonwood Canyons the snow was much better. This is the first year where the area has only gotten ~200 inches of snow. They usually get 500+ inches. Can you say global warming? On our 3rd day we got about a foot of powder, which was nice...I've never snowboarded in powder before and fell about a hundred times.



Here is a picture of that darn hat that drove me crazy. It fits it's new owner perfectly and he loves it. These folks (Jenna and Aaron) are some of our favorites, we tend to only see them on vacation. The picture is in a sports bar/"private" club (Utah has some DIFFERENT drinking laws) that we visited a few times to watch WVU basketball games. WVU won both games, which is awesome and they are this year's NIT champions. The state pride was really going strong out there in Utah.


Jill, I'm sorry that you have to be the person who discovers all the issues with the pattern, but I'm going to check my row gauge now. I don't know if Bill told you or not, but I forgot my pattern for the skirt at home. I had my yarn and all other implements, but no pattern!

So, because of this I mainly worked on a new pair of socks. It was my first patterned sock. I used a pattern called the "Cable twist ribbing". This is all I got done. I knitted on the plane ride out (a 5 hour ride), in the car en route to ski areas (30 min/day) and on the plane ride home (4 hours). But so far, it has been an enjoyable experience. I love the yarn, the varigated is Mountain Colors 4/8 wool hand dyes in Lost trail and the blue heel (and toe) is Cascade 220 in blue 8480. I think I'm going to put the stitches on a holder and then do the other sock, because in the past I've had SSS (second sock syndrome) pretty bad.

I'm going to finish up with a good picture of the snow on our first day of new snow. Molly, I hope you are doing better....



Love,
Jamie

1 comment:

Molly said...

your pictures of the snow covered hills are just gorgeous!