Thursday, April 26, 2007

Macrame, anyone?

Rachel and I tried out our first dyeing experiment... It was moderately successful. We decided on red clover for our first plant, it grows abundantly in a field near one of our study plots. It is also an exotic and slightly invasive plant, so no guilt in picking it! We used mostly the flowers and some leaves. In the book it said the color would turn out gold. I was thinking, like, a darkish gold. Well, you know those yellowish-gold macramed plant hangers from the '70s? Thats what color we got...

You can't really tell the color that well in the pictures, but its not exactly what I was hoping for. However, it was successful, in that it changed the color of the yarn. I think I will dye over it with something else, because I really don't think I will ever use this! Next up is... cherry bark (pink), bracken fern (tanish/yellow), virginia creeper (peach), ivy (green), and thistle (dark olive green). But not all at once!

No comments: