Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Ok, ok, I'll fill you in!

Hey girls,

Sorry so long (again). Things have been so crazy since we've returned from Park City. I also was hoping to get some knitting done to post on the blog, so bear with me this post is pictureless.

Kane has been offered a full time position in Carson city, NV (30 minutes from Lake Tahoe). He's currently jumping through hoops to complete all of the licensure requirements and malpractice insurance applications, etc.

I've been offered 2 part time positions at two different facilities (one in Lake Tahoe proper and one in Carson City) and this weekend I'm off for an interview for a full-time position at Renown Medical Center (in Reno, about 35+ minutes from Carson City). This is the job that I'm really interested in because it would offer a ton of opportunities to work with a team of dietitians (who all seem really cool from what I can tell on the phone) and it would potentially allow me to become a certified nutrition support dietitian (sort of a "critical care" dietitian). Reno is really cool as is Carson, so I'm hoping to also learn more about both areas and look for an apartment or house to rent in the event we end up moving.

This is somthing that is extremely exciting for us. We love the mountains out there, so much to do with all the wide open space, tons of national and state parks. Our favorite ski area, Kirkwood is ~45 minutes from Carson City and they get a ton of snow 500+ inches and have ~300 days of sunshine....what's not to love! Kane's dream would be to join the ski patrol @ Kirkwood and get to do backcountry patrol, avalanche charges and work with the avalanche puppies (they are extremely cool and really cute too).

The quandry is about the parents, which is why I haven't posted much on the topic. They are bummed and sad and kind of pouty about the whole thing. Mom is trying to be supportive, but my Dad, not so much. I guess this has been my main sticking point, otherwise I'd be 200% excited. I know that it's difficult to change people, especially after so many years, it's just hard to feel good about something that you arent' receiving support on (the unreasonable guilt of the Suttons....I'm sure you've seen Bill act this way before).

So, that's pretty much where we're at. I'll have more info after this weekend (hopefully). Please, to both of you, COME VISIT! We can go down to Yosemite (or anywhere you all would want to go) and we can hike around and talk geology (I'm obsessed with Sierran geology), go for a cross country ski and tour the many knitting stores (there are 4, I've been to 3 and I'm going to the fourth hopefully this weekend: Jimmy Beans Wool in Reno).

About knitting, I've finished my first sock and I'm starting the second one on the flight out. I've finished all the lace on my first panel (I ripped so many times this weekend, but finally got it done) and I'm ready to start the eyelet row. I'll give you my stats when I finish with that so you can help me with finishing.

Wish me luck and happy knitting!
Jamie

2 comments:

Jill said...

I am curious, why don't they want you to go? My parents are the complete opposite, I think. They always encouraged us to get out of town, out of the state, out of the country, thus, the study abroad trips we all took, Molly & I took a trip to Europe when I was in college and she was still in high school. So anyway, I just have a hard time grasping what is so bad about you moving. It sucks being far away sometimes, but I think its worth it. I wish I could go home more & see my friends and family, but I also like the life I've created here. I love the feeling of going someplace and being able to start new. Almost like I could just be anyone I wanted to. Sometimes I'm lonely and sometimes I'm happy, but I'd be like that anywhere. And I would say that I'm much closer to my family now than I was when I lived in Wisconsin. At Christmas time I go home for a couple weeks, whereas before I would go home for a couple days. I go home for a week in the summer too, which if I lived there, I would go home random weekends, but not for weeks at a time. And I talk to my mom way more than I did before. We talk at least once a week (for hours at a time...) and before maybe we'd talk every other week for a few minutes or so... So, in my opinion, things really haven't changed for the worse. Plus, you're an adult and that means you get to make your own decisions, right?! I know its not that easy, though. However, I am super pumped for you, and if you go, you can guarentee I'll be visiting. Good luck with your interview! ~jill

Jamie said...

Jill,
I totally agree with you. If/when we have kids I'm going to encourage them to go, see, do...I think it's so important to build character/independence and determine who you are.
I think it has a lot to do with how my Dad's family (and WV families in general) function. I think leaving your family is kind of seen like you are "abandoning your roots" (this may be a little dramatic, but it's my perception). People from WV (typically) don't leave. Take my friends and my family: All of my friends have advanced degrees but NONE of them have traveled abroad...I think that it's seen as something extravagant and extra...something that isn't necessary. Bill can tell you that we didn't even vacation much when we were growing up, partially for financial reasons but also because it wasn't seen as something that was "necessary".
And my family, all of my cousins my age have gone to college, gotten what jobs they could and live 10-30 minutes away from family. Which is not a bad thing if that's what you want to do, I think it's great, but if you have never gone anywhere else, how do you know what else is out there or that you might want to live somewhere different? Or, that where you are from is even better...I think this could potentially make us appreciate the natural beauty of WV even more. Don't get me wrong, I love WV, and we may end up coming back, but I think there is so much to explore.
To be honest, I think my dad is afraid of the unknown a lot and is worried about things that he can't understand (because he's never been there). I think it will be a wonderful opportunity for my parents to see someplace different, do some traveling and exploring of their own.
And you're right, no matter where you go, there you are. In other words, sometimes we're up and sometimes we're down, that's how life goes...in many ways it has nothing to do with your geography. Thanks for the well-wishes and I'm glad we'll have some visitors. YOu can come see the new cattle dog we rescue from the Reno Cattle Dog rescue center! =)