Tuesday, April 17, 2007

...I don't even know where to start, its been so long! I have been done at the coffee shop for a week now (thank God!), but its still been busy around here - the field season has somehow snuck up on me - the birds are here and are getting ready to get busy. So, I've been out in the field a bunch last week to get prepared, not really fun stuff, but it has to get done. That means not much knitting (well, not as much as usual). It rained over the weekend, so no field work, but I got lots done... taxes (finally), cleaning, organizing, and knitting.
I had been on a knitting hiatus last week - however,

I did make these wee sockies for my friend's baby whose first birthday was a week ago.

I've lost all interest in the cardigan that I started... so I've put it aside for a while. Its not turning out the way I was imagening, so its hard to motivate myself to figure out how to shape the sleeves.

I did however manage to work on my skirt a little. The lace is going much quicker on the second side than the first side did. I did this lace in two nights - just a couple hours (...okay, well maybe 4 hours).


Rachel and I have big plans to do some natural dyeing using plants. So I went to the library tonight to see if they had any books on dyeing using plants. Well, let me tell you, ya'll should visit the library. They have an awesome selection of books!!!! Why hadn't I thought of this before? So this is what I came home with:

The book on the bottom is Killer Tea Cosies - very strange book with all sorts of patterns (knit, crochet, and sew) for tea cosies, the next one up is Sensational Knitted Socks, Last-Minute Knitted Gifts, and on top is Wild Color - an awesome book that explains all about plant dyeing and what plants yield what colors under what circumstance, what you can add to the dye baths to change the results, etc. I am really psyched about this - Rachel & I even stopped in Hartselle on our way back from Bankhead today to look in the thrift stores for big pots or kettles to use for our project. I can't wait!

In other exciting news, we are getting trailers to stay in out at Bankhead this year! Could not be happier. One word: air conditioning (I guess thats two words). We are going to be staying out there this weekend, and I can't wait for the laid-back feeling of being out in the woods for a week at a time. I should be able to get lots done...

And Jamie, we need a update on whats going on with you. I know you're busy, but your brother proves to be a dearth of information when it comes to your big move... fill us in!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

love the sockies and tell me how the natural dyeing goes. I'd love to do that sometime....I'm also becoming sort-of obsessed with spinning (tons of people in carson have little farms with alpacas and sheep).