Sunday, January 25, 2009

More Glittens

Pattern: Minnesota Mittens from Folk Mittens
Yarn: Berocco Foliage
Needle: US 4
Start: December 25, 2008
Finish: January 5, 2009
One of the first times Alex and I hung out we met in Santa Fe after work and took a walk around the Plaza. It was just before Christmas; it had just snowed and Santa Fe was all decorated with lights, so it was really beautiful. Anyway, he knew that I knitted, although at that point he hadn't seen anything I had made yet. That evening he asked me what I was making and, of course, I had my current project in my purse so I pulled it out to show him. I was making my glittens. He like them and immediately said he could use a pair for fly fishing. Thats when I had my first inkling that he might be a keeper. And so, I made him a pair.
They were quite a bit easier to make than the first pair I made, mostly because I used a size 4 needle instead of size 2, and because I knew what I was doing this time around. The 'pattern' in the book is really more of a guide as to how to make these, not really a pattern. I would not recommend it for someone who hasn't made mittens before and isn't familiar with how mittens are constructed. Anyway, it was much smoother sailing this time around. He requested that there be a way to poke his thumb out so he could use it without taking the mittens off (which makes complete sense - I'm not sure why I didn't think of that.), so I made a hole in the thumb by binding off 6 stitches and then casting 5 on the next row (just like a button hole). They turned out great, fit perfect, and he loved them.
Winner.
Some angora goats (the curly-haired ones) and other good-looking goats at a farm I visited a few weeks ago for work. They were so darn cute!

No comments: