Friday, June 8, 2007

A trip to the past and one to home

Summer is here... it's miserably hot and humid, all day, every day. I really don't know how people survived before air conditioning. I think about the women in the 18oo's wearing those big dresses with all the layers - no wonder they fainted all the time. And all those people picking cotton in the fields - I really don't know how they do it. Ten minutes in full sunlight in weather like this is enough to send me into a grumpy mood its hard to get me out of.
I've been super busy lately and really haven't had time to knit at all. I'm still plugging away at the same old projects.
Jamie - it was great to see you pictures & your skirt looks great! I'm glad you got to make it through Wisconsin and some parts of the midwest. That part of WI is really beautiful - all the rock formations and bluffs along the Mississippi River are amazing. That is all part of the driftless area of WI, meaning that no glaciers went over that land, so it is very different from the rest of the state. The topography, and a lot of the plants and animals found there are unique to that part of the state. Aren't the Badlands amazingly interesting? When I went there I thought it was so crazy how you drive for miles, and miles, and miles, and miles of flat nothingness (but no shortage of Wall Drug billboards) and then these incredibly strange formations pop out of the land, almost like aliens put them there or something. They are very beautiful in a very weird way! And the grasslands have a very subtle beauty. But if you get out and explore them, there is so much to see and explore... Its just not big and bold like mountains or the ocean. Did you see any prairie dogs? They are so cute!
I hope that you are settling into things in Carson City and are having fun exploring your new home. Bill & I are super excited to come visit in September!

No comments: