Sunday, June 10, 2007

Blue


Blue
Originally uploaded by wickjill
Since I woke up at 6:30 this morning, I let myself have some sewing fun before getting down to work. I made this purse from an old skirt I have had forever. I actually got it at a flea market in Tasmania, Australia. It was a long, flowy, hippie wrap skirt that I think was authentic hippie (Meaning actual 1960s, not new hippie). I loved the skirt and the fabric, but its not really something I would wear anymore. I think it looks fantastic as a little summer purse. I lined it with muslin and even put a pocket inside for my keys and phone and such!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Loving the bag...by the way, I found Sierra Sewing on Carson Street! I looked at machines ($130-150 dollars), and went to the thrift store across the street and found some too (25-50 dollars). Where did you get yours and what should I expect from a thrift machine? Have a good day and enjoy the crafting.

Jill said...

I got my machine at Target and paid about $170 for it, I think. It is a Singer and about a mid-level one. I first got a cheaper one but had a lot of problems with it, so I returned it and bought the next one up and I like it a lot. I didn't need a lot of fancy stuff for what I wanted. I have looked at sewing machines at thrift stores too, but I don't really know what to expect from them - I guess it just depends on what condition they are in. I would stick with one of the name brands, just because if it does break at some point, you can take it to get repaired. My mom has had her Singer since she graduated from high school (around 45 years!) and she's never had a problem or had it repaired once. She's used it quite a bit - including her wedding dress & all her bridesmaid's dresses and lots and lots and lots of baby clothes and doll clothes in my younger years!