Sunday, August 3, 2008

Shattered Dreams

Early last spring I got a great deal on some JoSharp Silkroad Aran Tweed at my yarn shop in Huntsville. This is a pretty high-end yarn and it was 60% off, so quite a deal :) I bought a bag plus a few skeins and imagined a beautiful cabled, tweedy sweater. It is by far the nicest yarn I have purchased and I knew it really needed a fabulous pattern, so I have been on the lookout for the most perfect pattern. And I found it. I cast on last night and have been working diligently since then (with much guilt about not finishing any of the other projects I currently have on the needles, but this is SPECIAL). And then tonight I thought, 'hmmm, this looks kind of big - I better measure it'. It is 24". And it is supposed to be 17". Not good. I did a gauge swatch in stockinette before I started and it was right on, but I guess the cables change the gauge. So, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about a 7 inch difference. I am thinking about going down 2 needle sizes and eliminating one repeat of the cable pattern. I hope that will do it, because I really want this to work!
In completely other news, I am looking for any beet recipes ya'll might have. Mr. Malone is sailing across the Pacific and I get to partake in the fruits (and vegetables) of his garden. And right now there are lots of beets. What to do with beets (other than dye yarn)?

3 comments:

Molly said...

shattered dreams? aren't you being a wee bit melodramatic?

the beets look good though-- they are actually really delicious grilled. ever have them that way? try it. do you have a grill? if not, we need to get one. i love grilling.

Jamie said...

I would say roasting beets in the oven is also quite tasty, especially the baby ones. Scrub, snip off the tops for yummy sauteed beet greens, brush w/olive oil, add salt and pepper and roast at ~400 degrees until soft-ish, but not too soft.

nwick said...

I love beet pickles--not too difficult to do. Want my recipe?