Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Christmas gifts

In the recent weeks, I have been knitting away at Christmas gifts for friends. These are some finished products. They are all original patterns using leftovers from the Shalom Cardigan! I am so sick of this army green, but I still have more than one more entire skein left (over 200 yards) so it looks like I'll probably be staring at it some more in the coming weeks. I have changed gears a bit after this and started a lace shawl project, also an original pattern. It is using some leftover wool in a gorgeous dark cerulean blue. Don't be too impressed; the lace pattern I am using is pretty simple. If it turns out it should be really nice, though. Pictures to come soon!
Green Cable Hat
Just your typical cable hat.

Norway Mittens
A first attempt at multiple-color patterns (is there a name for this?), and it turned out to be pretty easy, but some of the looped white yarn on the inside are annoying when it catches on your fingers/jewelery. Overall I'm impressed. These are inspired by the patterns in Folk Mittens: Techniques and Patterns for Handknitted Mittens by Marcia Lewandowski.

Chevron Hat
I really like chevron patterns. So I decided to make a hat with one. This stitch pattern came from the clutch that I finished earlier this fall. I made it into a hat with only minor flaws (knitting this stitch in the round was a little challenging for me).

Moonlight Mittens
These are knit from the pattern I wrote. In knitting them I realized how terrible the pattern is. It is dire need of some revisions, but I don't know that I am up for it. eek.

Thing
This thing turns out to be a trivet, I think. It was an experiment that didn't necessarily turn out the best since some of the "wool" yarn I had did not felt. But, it is still pretty cute I think, and will serve its purpose.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Very impressive. I really like the two color mittens. That pattern is often used for "thrummed" mittens, where you use pieces of roving for the white, which makes a very, very, very warm mitten. I'll have pictures of the bohemoth blanket to post very soon...I'm going back to WV next Thursday to sew it up with my mom. I haven't knitted one other thing but that for a very long time....I'm excited to move on!
Hope you girls are doing well!