Monday, March 31, 2008

Highlights from my pottery class


I wanted to post some shots from the better pieces I created in my pottery class that just finished up. It's a combination of hand-built and wheel-thrown pots.





This is probably my favorite piece. It was hand built on a puki base and coils were added to build the pot higher. I impressed herbs before it was fired and then painted with iron oxide before it was placed in the glazing kiln.






This little dish was thrown on the wheel. It was one of my first attempts at centering, pulling and trimming. It's too small to drink out of, so it's a Splenda and sugar holder.



This is a thrown mug that was trimmed. It was (clearly) my first attempt at pulling a handle. Overall, it turned out ok. Glazing is a whole other art. I was feeling better about my ability to throw on the wheel, and then you have to start glazing. You kind of have to guess what it will look like, because the glazes go on one color and come out different!


This was one of the first things we worked on, a hand-built mug. It was kind of neat, it started out from a single piece of clay. It became lopsided in the firing kiln.








1 comment:

Molly said...

These are great! I loved doing pottery in high school-- the wheel is really soothing, but pretty hard until you get the hang of it. I wish I could get to do it again. I really like the first one-- The leaf on it is beautiful! Good work!